Skip To Main Content

Timeline

The History of Brooks School

While the history of Brooks School encompasses an entire century, its origins — the land, the lake and its inaugural philanthropist — date back well beforehand. 

Native Americans first inhabited the agriculturally-rich land next to what used to be a much smaller body of water that formed when surrounding drumlins dammed up one of two natural outlets and subsequently trapped glacier melt. Lake Cochichewick, named "the place of the great cascade" by the Pennacook people who first inhabited the area, was later listed as the Great Pond of Cochichewick on all maps produced between 1604 and 1906, explaining the school's mailing address. 

It was prominent Lawrence paper manufacturer William A. Russell who purchased the land in 1863 from the family of Daniel Foster with the intent of maintaining a gentleman’s farm. His son, also named William, was responsible for developing the first large-scale Holstein dairy cattle farm in the country on the site then called Lakeview Farm. 

During the mid-1920s, Rev. Endicott Peabody, the longtime headmaster of Groton School, sensed a growing need to create an additional New England boarding school that educated what was perceived as an influx of students at the time. A chance encounter with Groton parent Richard S. Russell (William A. Russell’s younger son) led to the donation of 65 acres of his family’s North Andover estate for Peabody’s proposed new school. 

Please explore our timeline to see more important facts and figures about Brooks’ past 100 years. 

Brooks School Hymn

hp-timeline

tabs-area

1926-1946

The Early Years

1926

Incorporation of Brooks School

Incorporation of Brooks School.

In April 1926, Brooks School was incorporated with Endicott Peabody as Board President and Frank Ashburn as Headmaster, earning $3,000 a year. At the time, the school had no students, faculty, buildings, site, or funding. Early gifts from the Peabody and Whitney families helped launch the effort. During a conversation at Groton, Peabody shared the school's challenges with Richard S. Russell. Russell replied quietly, “I think I may have a place for you that would do.”

1927

Founding of Brooks School

timeline-1

Brooks School opened on September 29, 1927, with 14 boys, six buildings and a small faculty led by 24-year-old Frank D. Ashburn, its first headmaster. Named for Phillips Brooks, the Episcopal school has since been guided by Ashburn, Peter Aitken, Larry Becker and current head John Packard.

1930

Dedication of Ashburn Chapel

Old chapel at brooks

Dedicated in 1930 as a temporary meetinghouse, the Frank D. Ashburn Chapel soon became permanent and was fully renovated in 2014 to seat 444 with added classrooms and gathering spaces. Beloved for its simple, intimate design, it fulfills Ashburn’s vision to “tremble with the future.”

1931

Founding of the Dramatic Society

Black and white photo with big hearted Herbert.

Brooks’ Dramatic Society, founded in 1931, staged plays like The Crimson Cocoanut and O’Neill’s Where the Cross Is Made in the old Frick Dining Hall. That same year, students also performed Faculty Frightfulness, a six-act comedy parodying the headmaster.

 

1931

Birth of the Brooks Shield

Early Brooks shield.

In 1931, Headmaster Frank D. Ashburn invited shield designs, and by 1932 the school had adopted its motto, Victuri te salutamus, proposed by Charles P. Lyman ’32, P’69. That same year, faculty member Russell S. Morse created the official Brooks shield, first appearing on The Bishop’s cover.

 

 

 

1932

First Graduating Class

First graduating class.

In 1932, Brooks School celebrated its first graduating class after adding one new form each year since opening. Enrollment had grown steadily by 15 to 20 boys annually, and the faculty had expanded to nine members. A larger student body allowed for competitive athletics, with championship crews under Howard Kingsbury and a distinguished squash program led by Roger Merriman.

 

 

 

1943

Commencements in Wartime

War time student in observation tower on Cow Hill.

During World War II, many fifth-formers graduated early to enter military service before college. At Brooks, classes often merged: the class of 1944 graduated with 1943, 1945 with the remaining 1944, and 1946 with 1945.

1946

Thorne House and Expansion of Facilities

Brooks Centennial logo.

An important era of construction and reconstruction from 1946 to 1948 marked a turning point in Brooks’ history. Centered on the addition of Thorne Hall, the school also added a new heating plant, improved dining facilities, a revived manual training shop, maintenance buildings, garages, and a science building. These projects built upon earlier campus growth, including Lyman Boathouse, New Whitney and Gardner houses (1931–32), and Peabody House, the enlarged chapel, and Holcomb House (1937–40), helping transform long-held aspirations into reality.

 

 

1947-1962

Postwar Growth and Connection

1948

A League of Our Own

Football 1948 Roxbury Latin Game.

In 1948, Brooks became one of eight founding members of the Independent School League. Early competitive sports included football, hockey, baseball and crew (launched on campus in 1930). Over time, soccer, basketball, wrestling, squash and tennis joined the roster of interscholastic athletics.

 

 

1950s

Admission of Day Students

Brooks Centennial logo.

The admission of day students in the 1950s broadened access to a Brooks education and strengthened ties with surrounding communities. The change brought new perspectives to campus and helped shape the blended boarding and day school experience that exists today.

 

 

1954

First Exchange Students

1954 exchange students.

In Feb. 1954, Brooks welcomed its first exchange students, Richard Walter Jahn of Western Australia and Satoshi Kawamitzu of the Ryukyus, through the New York Herald Tribune’s Forum program. Honored in the yearbook as honorary classmates, their visit was praised as part of the “fight for world peace.”

 

 

1961

When Rock Hit Campus

Brooks Centennial logo.

In 1961–62, Brooks’ first rock band, The One Eye Jacks, formed with John Rowe ’63, Lindsay Schieffelin ’63, Bill Roberts ’65 and Monty Byers ’63. They played school dances, aired on radio and even performed at a New York girls’ school. Despite some eye rolls, Phyllis Ashburn championed the band’s spirited debut.

 

1963-1980

An Era of Change

1965

Franklin H. Benson

Franklin H. Benson

Franklin H. Benson of New Haven, Conn., the first Black student at Brooks, joined the class of 1968 through the Ulysses S. Grant Foundation. He went on to Lake Forest College and Yale Divinity School, later serving as a pastor before becoming director of the William H. Plummer Seminary in Virginia.

 

1966

Founding of Wilder Speaking Prize

Cobey Brothers 2016

In 1966, brothers H. Todd Cobey ’61 and John Cobey ’62 created the Wilder Speaking Prize, an oratory competition honoring longtime teacher and admissions director F. Fessenden Wilder. The first winner was Frank Blake ’67, future CEO of Home Depot; recent winners include brothers Jack Rousmaniere ’28 and Charlie Rousmaniere ’25.

1972

Brooks Students in the Operating Room

Mr Bochensteins Class mid 1950s

Dr. Rudolph Muto P’74, P’79, GP’08, GP’11 launched Brooks’ AP Biology surgery visit program, inspiring students to explore medicine. With support from teacher Nick Evangelos, it thrived at local hospitals. Revived in 2004 by Dr. Paula Muto when her niece enrolled, the program continues today.

1979

The First Women of Brooks

Admissions Girls Day 1979

Brooks became coeducational in 1979, enrolling girls in the third, fourth and fifth forms. The first to graduate was Alice Babcock Pearce ’81, joined by 15 classmates who helped shape the school’s new era. Reflecting later, Pearce called it “an honor” to be among the pioneers and “pave the way for future women at Brooks.”

 

1980-2007

Expanding Horizons

1986

Launching the Exchange Program

1985-86 African Exchange Program

In 1986, Assistant Headmaster Richard F. Holmes H’73 launched Brooks’ Exchange Program with schools in Kenya and South Africa, sending and hosting four students. It doubled within a year and now spans Botswana, Hungary, Peru and Scotland, sustained by endowments from 1991 and 2010.

2004

Students on the Forefront

Students on the Forefront 2010.

Launched in 2004, Students on the Forefront offers rising sixth-formers internships in research and industry, first in the sciences and now across fields from technology to the arts. The program equips students with advanced skills and a deeper understanding that they bring back to their final year at Brooks.

 

2008-present

Innovation and Resilience

2008

A New Home for Science

Science Center at Brooks.

The Science Center opened its doors. Joe Napolitano ’09, who was a student at the time, commenced his professional relationship with Consigli Construction through Brooks’ Students on the Forefront of Science program, interning for the company during the summer months when they were building the school’s current Science Center. 

 

2011

Winter Term

Students during Winter Term

Since 2011, Winter Term has brought fresh energy to campus each January, with students and faculty diving into a single immersive course for three weeks. The program encourages focused, experiential learning while allowing teachers to design classes around their own passions.

2018

Opening of the Center for the Arts

Center for the Arts.

In 2018, Brooks opened its $28 million Center for the Arts, a transformative facility that united visual arts, music, and theater at the heart of campus. Featuring performance, music, and studio spaces connected by a shared Arts Street, the center elevated creativity, collaboration, and artistic expression for generations of Brooks students.

 

2020

COVID-19 Pandemic

Student in classroom during COVID-19 pandemic.

Unlike any year prior or since, students and faculty slated to return to campus from Spring Break on Wednesday, March 25, never did. Due to the COVID-19 international pandemic, the on-campus community was forced to conduct academic studies and hold Prize Day that year remotely. 

2021

Adoption of Land Acknowledgement

Brooks Centennial logo.

In 2020, students in the Winter Term course How Did Massachusetts Get Its Name? researched local Native American history and drafted Brooks School's land acknowledgment: “At Brooks School, we live and learn on land once of the Pentucket people, and we acknowledge their enduring presence.” Introduced in Chapel, the statement is now shared at major school events and Chapel services.

 

2021

Adoption of Anti-Racism Statement

Brooks Centennial logo.

In 2020, a subcommittee of Brooks School’s Diversity Leadership Council drafted the school’s Anti-Racism Statement, affirming that anti-racism work is ongoing and central to the school’s mission. Incorporated into the Student Handbook and Community Directory, the statement commits Brooks to identifying, acknowledging, and dismantling systems of oppression while fostering a community where all members can thrive.

 

 

2022

Opening of the Admission Building

Construction of the new Admission building.

Brooks transformed the center of campus with the construction of a new Admission Building. Replacing aging structures that had served generations of students, the facility created a welcoming first impression for prospective families while establishing a new gathering space at the heart of campus, connecting the community to Lake Cochichewick and the Center for the Arts.

 

 

 

2023

Opening of the Demoulas Family Boathouse

Demoulas family boathouse.

In 2023, Brooks opened the George and Evanthea Demoulas Family Boathouse on the shores of Lake Cochichewick. Made possible through the generosity of alumni, parents and friends, the state-of-the-art facility ushered in a new era for the rowing program, providing exceptional training and gathering space for future generations of Brooks student-athletes.